Education Services

The Education Office provides the Members of the Delaware National Guard a comprehensive resource for their civilian education benefits through administering Federal Tuition Assistance, State Tuition Assistance, education counseling, testing and facilitating the GI Bill program.  The Education Office’s mission is to serve, advise, and assist Soldiers & Airmen with regards to these education resources.  Whether interested in earning an Associates, Bachelors, or Masters Degree, the Education Office is here to help. The difficult process, the many forms, can be confusing and discouraging to new students. Start off right, contact the Education Office today!

 Education Benefits Trifold

Federal Tuition Army Only

Did you know that as a traditional Army National Guard Soldier you are eligible to have up to $4,000 of education tuition paid for up front?

To get started, contact us at 302-326-7044/7069 to schedule an in person or over the phone counseling session with the education office.  If you are unsure of your education goals, let the education office help you match your military experience with a school to earn credit for what you’ve already accomplished!

Current Benefits

  • Ability to attend any US Department of education, DOD approved institution.
  • Eligible tuition paid upfront to the institution directly.
  • Up to 16 semester hours funded per fiscal year, if submitted and approved prior to the course start date!
  • Eligible Soldiers can get an Undergraduate, Masters Degree, and a Certificate funded by Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA).

State Tuition

All active Delaware National Guard members in good standing are eligible. Attend an accredited public or private School within the State either FT or PT. Agree to and understand the rules and guidelines described in the DNG PAM 600-3. All participants must serve at least 6 years with the Delaware National Guard. Participants have a 10 year window of eligibility to use the program once entered. Eligible Degrees of Study: Eligible to receive one Associates & one Bachelor’s Degree. Eligible to receive one Certificate but must be approved by the Education Review Board. Masters Degrees are reimbursed if funding exists after all Undergraduates have been paid.

Please see the State Tuition Law “Quick Link” and note that this program is a benefit subject to the “Availability of Funds” appropriated each year by the State of Delaware and is not guaranteed.

Please be alerted that you must file DNG Form 600-4 Reimbursement Claim Form with your official bill, payment receipts and official sealed transcript within 45 days after the classes end or you forfeit the right to this money. You must also be registered at the State of Delaware “Quick Link”.

Public schools in Delaware
Up to 100% tuition reimbursement
  • Delaware Technical and Community College
  • University of Delaware
  • Delaware State University
Private schools in Delaware
Reimbursed up to the average In-State School per credit hour rate
  • Goldey Beacom College
  • Springfield College (Delaware Campus only)
  • Strayer University (Christiana Campus only)
  • Wesley College
  • Delaware College of Art and Design
  • Widener University (Delaware Campus only)
  • Wilmington University
Combining State Education Program with Federal Education Program Benefits
  • OK to combine State Education Benefits with Montgomery GI Bill Benefits
  • OK to combine with the Federal Tuition Assistance not to exceed 100% tuition and fees
  • No Double Dipping -FTA, Grants, Scholarships & Employer benefits are deducted from payment
  • State Tuition Program reimbursements can not exceed the member’s actual paid (out of pocket) expense.

Paperwork Process

All forms and applications located under Information & Resources at the bottom of the page.

  • Must first file for FAFSA at and attach College Financial Aid Award letter to your State Tuition application.
  • Apply using DNG Form 600-1 Application and Contract signed by the Unit.
  • Mail the application to the appropriate address listed on the back of the DNG Form 600-1.
  • File DNG Form 600-4 Reimbursement Form (Once official grades or transcripts / college billing invoice has been obtained) attached required documents and mail form to the appropriate address on the back of the DNG Form 600-4.
  • Member should receive a reimbursement check (via US Mail to the member’s address listed on the reimbursement form) within 30 days upon receipt of receiving their reimbursement form.
  • The State of Delaware has mandated and now requires members to fill out a STATE OF DELAWARE EMPLOYEE VENDOR ID REQUEST for direct deposit of State Tuition Reimbursement.

GI Bill Programs

Since 1944, the GI Bill has helped millions of Veterans pay for college, graduate school, and training programs. Under this bill, qualifying Veterans and their family members can get money to cover all or some of the costs for school or training. Learn more about these benefits below—and how to apply for them.

If you served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits. You can check to see if you have Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits.

Delaware Leadership Academy (DLA)

The DLA is a program that the Delaware National Guard (DNG) and Wilmington University (WilmU) have teamed together to award a Masters of Science in Management (MSM) with a Concentration In Military Leadership and now it can also be applied to MS in Homeland Security.

15-18 credits from DNG

*No cost for the 6 courses/modules

  • Communication Essentials of Military Leadership
  • The Role of the Guard
  • Joint Force Operations
  • Strategic Leadership and Decision-making
  • Military Leadership Skills
  • Capstone: Crisis Leadership

18 credits from WilmU

The DLA program takes a year. The program starts in January and finishes in December. The specific dates of the classes parallel the schedule of WilmU 7 week courses (block courses). The courses are done on-line through a site at FT Gordon except for one traditional classroom session at the end of each module where every student is present. The location of the classroom session will be at the DNG facility. The modules consist of Readings, Self Activities, Group Activities, and Leadership Assessments.DLA is for leadership training both academically and experientially. Good leadership depends on an individual with skills but it is exercised and demonstrated in a group setting. With your interaction with your classmates through the program you will learn practical skills on leadership as well as how the DE National Guard functions. You will be better prepared to function and fulfill your responsibilities as a Soldier and Airman. You will also have honed skills to improve your leading of Soldiers and Airmen.

Joint Services Transcript (JST)

Get the credits you deserve – Earn college credit for your military experience!

Your military service has likely earned you college credit. Many schools and colleges award military students credit towards a degree based on training, coursework, and occupational specialty. You’ve worked hard in the military -now you can save tuition dollars and classroom time!

Tips to get the credit you earned:

Your military training, courses, and occupational specialty can all be considered for college credit. For example, a survey conducted by the American Council on Education found that the average number of academic credits awarded from JST is 14 semester hours. This saves you tuition dollars and classroom time!

Policies vary from school to school and also by the program of study you choose. When you contact the school, you can help the process by having your paperwork in order.

  • Get and review your military transcript to ensure it’s accurate.
  • If you’re prior service, get your DD-214 (your discharge paper). If you don’t have it, complete Form SF 180.
  • Some military coursework doesn’t appear on your military transcript; be sure to have records of these classes.
  • If you’ve taken any other college courses, get transcripts for them.
  • Ask admissions counselors at schools you’re considering about other ways to earn credit. In some cases, 5 or more years experience in a field can qualify.

Why Review Your Transcript?

When you request a transcript to be sent to a school, it is sent directly from the service’s transcript office to the school. However, you should also request an unofficial transcript so you can review its accuracy and completeness. You should do this BEFORE requesting your transcript be sent to a school so you can have any corrections made, if necessary.

Department Phone
Education Services Officer 302-326-7044
Education Services Officer Fax 302-326-7029
State Tuition Reimbursement 302-326-7012
State Tuition Reimbursement Fax 302-326-7029
Air Guard 302-323-3447
Air Guard Fax 302-323-3523
Delaware Leadership Academy 302-326-7085
Federal Tuition Assistance 302-326-7069